Thursday, August 20, 2015

Quote Challenge: Day One

So, I woke up from a day of sleeping, went to my Twitter account and saw that Emily Moore blogger of A Cup of English Tea dared me to participate in a Quote a day challenge. Like Marty McFly being called 'chicken', this troglodyte daren't refuse a challenge. (Not that I actually minded, I thought it would be fun change of pace in the midst of all the secret stuff I've been working on.)

Because this is a blog about Mozart, I guess I'm bound to use a Mozart Quote. (Not really, It's my blog, I'll do what I want, but it is a good exercise to use his words.) This is a bit hard, because I haven't come across that quote of his that has kicked me in the throat. And, many of the most powerful words from his music didn't likely come from him (he was simply a genius at finding the right music for them).

Anyway, here's the 1st quote it picked.

"The Music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between."

This quote applies so brilliantly to Mozart's music. His music carries such subtle shades of emotion. What appears to be a happy song, if really listened to, turns out to be that of a melancholy soul faking it.   And, that brings me a bonus quote I ran into on the internet by Douglas Adams.

"Beethoven tells you what it is like to be Beethoven, and Mozart tells you what it is like to be human. Bach tells you what it is like to be the universe."

Maybe, this is why I was drawn to Mozart, beyond many of the other composers. While I do love Bach and Beethoven, Mozart's subtle emotional approach connects better with me. Whereas Bach and Beethoven's music expresses emotions I want to feel, Mozart describes how I actually feel. He best captures the messy emotions and thoughts I want to express, yet wrestle how to say. 

Such principles can (and should) also be applied to writing, and speaking (or any art form). How can we get people to consider what we want to say to them? Especially those that disagree.  How can we get them to understand what where we're coming from? What we're feeling? Most troglodytes, myself often included, have been guilty a saying something akin to, "Stop being mealy-mouthed, and just say it like it is..." That's all good and well, but does anyone really like to listen to that jerk who spews his or her opinion about everything, all the time? Without filter? (Again especially when they disagree).

And vice-versa, gobs of hippies out there, will say, "Just share your feeeeeeelings." Sure, we all have feelings, but those who are constantly hijacking conversations in order to whine about something grow exhausting. (Go ahead and watch the Debbie-Downer SNL skit.) And people have a hard time taking them seriously. But, if you take the other extreme, and bottle your feelings like a good troglodyte is supposed to do, you may come off as not caring, when in fact you may care deeply.

Mozart's music reflects such struggles, as well as suggests how someone can find a way to get others to contemplate his or her thoughts and feelings. Not through forceful declaration, but via what may not even be said. That old throw a frog in boiling water axiom applies. Music, today, rarely carries that depth (sorry for speaking Troglodytian, but it's my native tongue). 

Yet, honestly (and I think Emily hinted at an experience earlier this month) some people are thick. They don't get subtly. And so, both Mozart's music and this quote teach us a more important skill. Not how to get others to understand, but how to listen to what others are truly saying.  Few are really truly gifted at boldly and clearly blurting what they want to say. For most, their meaning is not in the notes, but the silence in between. 

Or... Some people are particularly gifted at getting others to absorb all sorts of philosophies without them knowing. As a philosophy major, I get told that I over think things. My wife is often one. She complains from time-to-time how a ruin movies for her. I don't think (confession: I'm really arrogant about this) many people reflect on what others are really saying. They passively absorb contrary gobs of information. 

Ahhh... I got way more long-winded than I intended. Probably because I can't quite pin down what I think or feel about this quote. ............... 

So, next I guess I'm supposed to challenge some one else to this.  First, I'd have to go with Isaac Selya, conductor of the Queen City Chamber Orchestra. He's been very helpful in with my pursuit of trying Mozart. He has put many of the lesser known Mozart works on Youtube, including the purest version of Zaide online. He's likely a busy man, but I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to promote his work. (Just to highlight the rules: Write about one quote a day for three day, challenging another blogger to do the same each day.)





3 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Rollan. What I now do with Haydn I once did with Mozart; they are the two finest composers in my experience. They both speak to me. That they also did so to each other as best friends is perhaps no coincidence! I shall be around to visit more often, hope you stop and see me too. Here is something you might like tinyurl.com / nwnlko2 (take out the spaces).

    Regards,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your comments. I am big fan of Haydn as the person (I like his music too.) Haydn is the kind of person I'd like to be, unfortunately, I think I'm more of a Mozart. ;) I will be checking out your site as well.

      Delete
    2. So as well if your were confused. Some how the quote I was using got deleted.

      Delete