Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Quote Challenge: Day 3

"If people could see into my heart, I should almost feel ashamed... All there is cold, cold as ice."

For my last quote in this challenge, I went a shade darker. In the second quote, Mozart shows himself as a man who didn't let people's opinions affect his craft, while juxtapositionally craving praise. Both attitudes (not caring what people think and over-caring) have a common seed--a lowered view of humanity. Mozart saw people as objects for his passions, not the purpose of his passions. 

Yes, Mozart wanted people to be moved by his music, yet not for their sake, but for his. And this mentality is dangerous. It was dangerous for Mozart. The quote was written the year before he died. With people no longer (if having ever) satisfying his passions, Mozart lost love toward humanity. He grew depressed. Bitter. Insulting. And, I wonder if he could have ever received enough praise. So, he spiraled downward, delving into drinking and sex. It was possibly the combination of the two that killed him. (Although, he was disgusted with himself to know that he shouldn't have been consumed by such cold thoughts.)


There is danger in finding our joy in the praise of others, or in the belittling of others for amusement. Both the glory-seeking flatterer and the jerk-face cynic see humans as fodder bolstering their own status...

Why did I start this blog? I could spew out the noble answer: 'To get people to learn about Mozart and enrich their lives.' But honestly, I wanted to do something no one else was doing to put my name out there as a creative force. Sure, if lives are enriched by my posts, I won't complain. I may even feel good about myself (for a spell). But, even that end risks becoming about me. "Boy, I'm such a profound person, I can change lives." Or, I would think such things.

Now, I have tried hard to appeal to as broad of an audience as I can (considering that I'm writing a post about a refined PBS-lover art form from an unrefined troglodyte tongue). So, I have tried not to ruffle the feathers of the few perchance readers. But, from time-to-time, I must stray from my own name-building, to speak of matters of more controversial significance. To say words, that I believe (feel the complete liberty to disagree) are for the good of those reading.

Putting a gob of work into a venture and not wanting some sort of attention is darn near impossible. Then add insults and mocking, how can one not become bitter? How can one hold onto a passion for an audience?  The key fix: we need to change our view of people. People are not objects out to cater our passions. Does that mean we shouldn't have passion? Certainly not. I'm just saying, poorly directed passions lead to death.

When our passion is not dependent on human acknowledgement AND when it is serves a higher purpose, then we can bear ambivalence and even mockery aimed our way. Plus, if we were ever to find a passion that cannot be taken... Such passion is freeing, but can it really be mastered? Through our own methods, I would say this is impossible.

Yet, a perfect example has walked among us. Of Jesus Christ, 1 Peter 2:23 says, "When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly."

From here, I will avoid getting all preachy or long-winded and encourage readers to chew. Speaking of properly directing passions will likely goad various 'How dare you question my passions' passions. Fair. Mozart's emotions lead to beautiful music for us, but damaged him. Maybe he was selfless. Plus, Mozart's music does not reflect the way things should be, but the way they often are.

For my next part of the challenge, I challenge Stephen Willcox. The associate pastor of my church, he is someone I actually know in person. He writes on the blog 4Men1Hope and writes on matters of faith and theology. There's a good post on Jonah the speaks nicely of some of these same themes. He's got a lot going on right now, since the head honcho is gone, but I'd bet he'd conjure some good quotes. (Just to highlight the rules: Write about one quote a day for three days, challenging another blogger to do the same each day.)














No comments:

Post a Comment