Friday, July 17, 2015

Mozart's Daughter


While particularly heavy into my Zaide research, I was fooling around with a monologue contest. I thought I'd try to enter something that might emote why Mozart scrapped his work on Zaide. In all likeliness, what I wrote is not close to reality, but it was fun to think about how much his heartbreak from Alloysia played into the creation of the work. But, this monologue didn't win, and I didn't want it to die fully, so I wanted to share it.

(If there is anyone in desperate enough need for a free monologue, fell free to use this. I simply request credit be given to the author.)

Mozart’s Daughter 

(Mozart writes, quill in hand, to his love, Alloysia (Al-uh-wish-uh))

Alloysia. I will prove it to you. You shall see. My name will be great one day. We will not live in poverty. I know you didn’t mean it. You were scared. You still love me. I feel it. Isn’t our love worth it? Who could punish you, when you found what you’re looking for? True love. No misery can scourge our love.

But, I am bound in misery without you.

I know. I know. I could not find a job... Mother died. If anyone has the right to be upset… (scribbles paper with quill)

When I returned from Paris, I was a miserable wreck. I understand I frightened you. Believe me, I’m stronger now.

If only I had been stronger then. If only I hadn’t let father send me to Paris… Perhaps mother would still… (scribbles violently) Perhaps you would have… (scribbles)

I am working on an opera. A beautiful opera... The most beautiful opera ever. This opera will bring me great fortune. It will bring me fame. This opera in devoted to you. This opera is our daughter. (stops writing, looks to the side)

I have a letter. (Mozart leaves his table and returns with a letter and a deflated face)

(silence)

Alloysia has married.

(after a moment of silence, Mozart crumples letter and throws it across the room)

(stands silent) 


(from his desk, he grabs a stack of sheets and tucks them into a leather portfolio)

Goodbye Zaide. I’m finished with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment