Saturday, April 6, 2013

The K.1's



K.1a Andante in C
K.1b Allegro in C

K.1c Allegro in F

K.1d Minuet in F

K.1e Minuet in G

K.1f Minuet in C

First trip into the series, wish me luck and discipline…

My oldest son is three months past 4.  Mozart was already fiddling with songs from his sister’s notebook.  Then, I thought about how, even now, my son does something or has learned something that surprises me.  Maybe, children at the very early ages are capable of much more that we expect.  How much time was Leopold able to spend with his son working on music?  He didn’t have the TV to distract him, who knows how many hours they could have spent working on music.  (Ironically, I have my kids watching Saturday morning cartoons while I work on this.)

And so anyway, Mozart’s Andante in C and Allegro in C were written just after his 5th birthday.  I am surprised at the speed of the pieces.  When I try to knock out a simple tune (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) I have to concentrate just to press one key after the other in proper order.  I have a hard enough time picturing a child just past 5 playing these pieces, let alone writing them, even if they are quite short.   The pieces do sound like cute children’s pieces, especially when played on the harpsichord. 

Allegro in F sounds years of maturity ahead of the first two compositions. This piece sound familiar to me, from where, I am not sure. Minuet in F is a peaceful piece, but nothing that grabs me.  Minuet in G is my favorite of all the pieces.   It is the first that tells me a story.  It also has that hint of Mozart mixed melancholy and merriment. I was confused about Minuet in C, but it seems to be the same piece, just in a different key. And, now I reveal my music ignorance, but alas maybe I’ll learn more as I continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment